August 15, 2010

Drink, Play F&#k

The New Yorker interviews Andrew Gottlieb about his new book “Drink, Play, F@#k”.
I wrote “Drink, Play, F@#k” because I was mystified by the success of “Eat, Pray, Love,” and I felt that the book, and its Oprah-sanctioned ubiquity, needed to be made fun of. Initially my book was just going to be a broad parody of Elizabeth Gilbert’s story. But, as I began outlining and writing, I realized that a straight parody would bore me (and, presumably, the readers) pretty quickly. I also realized that, while my book is basically just a humorous goof, I also had something to say about the differences and the similarities between the way men and women approach problems. I would say that the “Drink, Play, F@#k” ratio is approximately 72% parody, 27% greater statement, and 1% half-assed get-rich-quick-scheme.

The New Yorker: Is this a book that celebrates an alternative male escape, or that mocks the idea that such an escape is valuable or possible?

Andrew Gottlieb: I have been married for twenty-one years, and I have three children. I would never mock any kind of male escape alternative. However, I’m not above mocking self-obsession, dramatic hand-wringing, and whiny navel-gazing.
via

I'm sure you men don't have to buy this book to master such things. These places just naturally bring out "the best" in you ;)

No comments: